All games on the Skillz platform must be skill-based. Casino games and other luck-based game mechanics are not permitted. For the mutual benefit of all the game developers on our platform, please follow the guidelines below to ensure that your game is not mistaken for a game of chance.
Marketing and In-Game Copy
- Avoid naming or describing your game as any sort of casino or chance-based game (e.g. Blackjack, Poker, Roulette, Slots, etc...)
- With written approval from Skillz, it is permissible to describe your game as being “a skill-based game inspired by” a game listed above as long as your copy makes it very clear that your game is a skill-based adaptation of the concept
- Do not make references to betting, wagering, gambling, luck, chance, or guessing
- Please avoid using the phrases “real money” or “RMG." We recommend using “real-world prizes” or “real prizes," instead.
- Avoid the word “addictive”
- Alternatives to use: engaging, enticing, captivating, challenging, fun, absorbing
- Do not use phrases associated with casinos or check cashing establishments (e.g. ca$h, get cash fast, cash on the spot)
- Do not use the Skillz brand in your app title or subtitle. You may reference Skillz in your app store description using the following phrases:
- Powered by Skillz®
- Featuring prize competitions provided by Skillz®
- With fair competition and player-matching powered by Skillz®
- Challenge people around the world with Skillz®, power fair, fun and meaningful competition in mobile games with leaderboards, trophies, real-world prizes, and an amazing loyalty program that rewards you for playing!
- Skillz Random™ ensures fairness in player matching and gameplay conditions so only the most skilled competitor wins!
Marketing and In-Game Artwork / Audio
Do not use the following imagery:
- Betting with poker chips
- Casino environments (interior or exterior)
- Slot machine symbols (stylized sevens, bars, cherries, jackpot symbols, etc.)
- Casino games (slots, roulette, craps, keno, etc.)
- Cards, dice, and felt tabletops are okay if not presented in a gambling context
- Chance-based games (lottery, coin flips, scratchers, etc.)
- Signs or landmarks from Las Vegas or other iconic gambling locations
- Alcohol or other controlled substances
- Minors under age 18
- Pornography or sexualized imagery
- Avoid the use of slot machine sounds, ambient casino sound effects, or gambling-related voice overs
We recommend including the following information about restricted states on your app store pages (you do not need to include this in your description for games.skillz.com):
- Prize tournaments are not available in the following states: AR, CT, DE, LA, and SD. If you don't live in a real prize-enabled region, you can still play for fun with our virtual currency.
If your game is a card game, you must also list Maine and Indiana:
- Prize tournaments are not available in the following states: AR, CT, DE, IN, LA, ME, and SD. If you don't live in a real prize-enabled region, you can still play for fun with our virtual currency.