Skillz has a built-in set of automatic push notifications that are sent based on in-game actions to drive player engagement and retention. Uploading a push notification certificate to Skillz doesn't prevent you from sending your own messages using normal methods, such as first & third-party push notification tools, etc.
In order to tell the difference between your game’s notifications and the notifications sent by Skillz, you can look in the dictionary of the notification payload. If it contains a property for
SKZVersion, then you know it is a Skillz notification.
This article will walk you through on how to enable push notifications.
Enable Push Notifications
1. Generate a Push Notification Certificate
- Generate an APNs client TLS certificate for your app ID. Remember to download the certificate and add it to your Mac keychain.
- Regenerate the provisioning profile(s) for your app ID.
- Update your XCode project with the regenerated provisioning profile.
- Add the "Push Notifications" capability in your XCode project. It is found under
Signing and Capabilities.
2. Export the Certificate in PKCS #12 (.p12) Format
The certificate needs to be exported as a p12 file, as it contains the certificate, its chain, and private key in a single file.
- Launch Keychain Access.
- In the Category section, select
- Find the certificate you want to export and disclose its contents. You’ll see both a certificate and a private key.
- Select both the certificate and the key, and choose File > Export Items.
- From the File Format pop-up menu, choose a file format that your server accepts. Enter a filename in the Save As field, and click Save.
The certificate and key are saved to the location you specified as a text file in the Personal Information Exchange format (a file with a
.p12 file extension).
- Download an OpenSSL binary if you do not have one.
This is done at your own risk as these are third-party development tools.
- Convert the developer certificate downloaded in the previous section into a PEM file
openssl x509 -in developer_identity.cer -inform DER -out developer_identity.pem -outform PEM
- Generate the P12 file using the PEM file
openssl pkcs12 -export -inkey mykey.key -in developer_identity.pem -out iphone_dev.p12
3. Upload the Certificate to the Developer Console
Next, upload the p12 file to the Developer Console. Select the "Push Notifications" section under the "Optimize tab. Make sure you provide the password that was associated with the p12. Otherwise, Skillz will not be able to send push notifications to your game.
4. Test and Verify
You can only test Skillz push notifications with your Skillz environment set to Production.
Allow Push Notifications
Before you can test a push notification, you will need to accept push notifications in-app. Run your application on a device. Start Skillz, and follow through the First Time User Experience until you've completed a match. At that point you should see a Push pop-up like the following screenshot. Make sure you press "Give Access".
Send Test Notifications
Test notifications can be sent from the page where you uploaded the push notifications certificate:
Enter the username of the user who you would like to receive the notification and click "Send Test". The user must be logged into the game on an iOS device, and have push notifications enabled in order to receive your test push notification. It may take a few minutes for the user to receive the push notification, which will include a random 6-digit code. Please enter the code into the 2nd field on the screen and click "Verify" to finish the verification process.
If you are not receiving any push notifications, make sure you have enabled notifications in your app by going to your iOS device's
Settings > Notifications, selecting your app and toggling on "Allow Notifications".
If your game is not receiving notifications, make sure you've done the following:
- Enabled push notifications for your app ID in your Apple Developer account.
- Generated a push notification certificate.
- Added the certificate to your Keychain.
- Regenerated your provisioning profile.
- Updated your XCode project with the regenerated provisioning profile.
- Added the "Push Notifications" capability in your XCode project.
- Set the Skillz environment to Production in your app.
- Provided the correct password for your p12 to the Developer Console.
- Gave your app permission to receive push notifications on the iOS device.
The Skillz SDK for Android uses Firebase Messaging to power push notifications, so you'll need to set up a Firebase project by following the instructions depending on whether your game is made with Unity or natively.
1. Add Firebase to the Game
2. Upload the FCM key to Skillz
Go to https://console.firebase.google.com/, and select your project. Select Settings (top left corner of the console)
- Select Cloud messaging tab.
- Copy the server key.
- Go to your Skillz developers console and select your application.
- Select the Push Notification tab on your left.
- In the "Android FCM keys" section, paste your server key to one of the blank text fields, and press the "Submit" button:
3. Sending Test Notifications
Sending test notifications may not work immediately as it can take up to 24 hours for your FCM key to be transferred to our push notification backend.
Please contact us, if you need further assistance.